Fourth of July Firework Safety for Pets

June 28, 2018

Fourth of July Firework Safety for Pets

With Fourth of July quickly approaching, East End Veterinary Center wants all pet owners to be aware of the problems that can arise in an instant during the holiday festivities.

Fire Safety

One of the most obvious dangers during the Fourth of July holiday is burns. Fire emitted from the fireworks can lead to serious burns, and when fireworks fall from the sky, they can also cause problems. Sparklers are another seemingly innocent firework that may cause problems for your pet. NEVER tie or place a lit firework anywhere near your cat or dog.

Fireworks can also cause problems if your pet plays with or ingests them, and other common Fourth of July items can cause problems, as well.

Preventing Accidental Ingestion

During the festivities, there are all kinds of different things that your pet could get into and eat. From food to fireworks, it can be hard to know what all can pose a threat to your pet. East End has a handy list to help you keep your pet safe as you celebrate:

  • Alcohol: Never allow your pet to drink alcohol. Don’t leave drinks unattended where your pet could consume them. Alcohol can cause weakness, intoxication, depression, coma, respiratory failure, and death.
  • Fireworks: Fireworks contain numerous things that shouldn’t be consumed. Toxic substances like potassium nitrate, arsenic, and other heavy metals may be in your fireworks.
  • Sunscreen and Insect Repellant: The chemicals in sunscreen and insect sprays can lead to drooling, diarrhea, vomiting, excessive thirst, and lethargy. DEET can also lead to neurological problems.
  • Matches and Lighter Fluid: Chlorates, which can damage blood cells, cause breathing problems, and lead to kidney disease, can be found in certain types of matches. Lighter fluid can cause skin irritations, but when ingested it lead to gastrointestinal irritation and nervous system depression. When inhaled, lighter fluid can also cause aspiration pneumonia and breathing problems.
  • Glow Jewelry: While it can seem fun to slip a glow necklace onto your cat or dog as a make-shift collar, these glowing toys can lead to excessive drooling and gastrointestinal irritation. If your pet happens to swallow the whole thing, the plastic can also cause an intestinal blockage.

Preventing Escape

The loud noises that fireworks make can cause pets a lot of stress. Some animals may seek a place to hide, while others may try to run away from the noise. For these reasons, it is a good idea to leave your pets inside your home in a room that will prevent them from running through any open doors. You can also leave soothing music on to help them feel more comfortable.

If you do bring your pet with you to an outdoor event, but sure to keep them on a leash that you can hold onto throughout the night. Never leave your pet loose or tie them up in the yard during the Fourth of July, as they may find a way to run away. Make sure your pet’s tags are up-to-date and he or she is microchipped, just in case.

Accidents happen, and if you are in Long Island and your pet gets burned or ingests something problematic this Fourth of July, don’t worry, because East End can help any time and any day. Our emergency clinic is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, so call us at 631-369-4513 or stop in if your pet needs help over the holiday.